Monday, November 2, 2009

recommendations

The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus - A Memoir by Joni Eareckson Tada
This was another book that I had attempted to read at earlier stages of my life yet could never "get into." This time, it was different - who knows why. I could hardly put it down. It reads very much like a novel. Tada's vivid remembrances not only tied me into her life but also reminded me of my own. There were more than a few poignant times when I could hardly keep reading out of sheer shock that rose from similarities. These were usually emotions, thoughts, and particularly conversations with the Almighty that we've both had throughout our lives. So it became not only the God that Joni loves but the God that Katie loves as well. An encouragement from another member of the cloud.

The Purple Rose of Cairo (movie)
Don't let the stamp of Woody Allen turn you off. I watched this during my film class in college. I thought it was great then and I still think it's great now. Forcing my mom to watch it the other night brought on laughter for me and rolls-of-the-eyes for her. If you like wit and hilarity with enough to get you thinking about reality by the end, watch it.

Elisabeth Elliot books
Just finishing a short book of essays entitled Love Has A Price Tag. When I was younger, I held everything she had to say as Scripture, practically. But my eyes have been open to more peoples and beliefs, as well as to more of God Himself (praise Him!) I still thoroughly enjoy E.E. books, just with a better perspective now. God's work in her heart, more than just in her life circumstances, encourages and exhorts me. I always laugh with her and think with her. She does make me want to know my Savior more, whether or not I agree with everything she says. Other books I've read: A Chance to Die (the Amy Carmichael biography talked about in a few posts below), Through Gates of Splendor (a must-read missionary biography for anyone), Shadow the Almighty (a fantastic look at one that was changed by the unchangeable One), Passion and Purity, Quest for Love, Let Me Be A Woman, The Path of Loneliness, The Mark of a Man, and my personal favorite Secure in the Everlasting Arms.

The Lord of the Rings (movie)
Watched all three in less than 24 hours. Still has enough to emit huge emotive responses out of me. Tolkien (still the creator of the story) did what he wanted - "The prime motive was the desire of a tale-teller to try his hand at a really long story that would hold the attention of readers, amuse them, delight them, and at times maybe excite them or deeply move them" (J.R.R. Tolkien, Forward in TLotR).

...

I do not, however, recommend having flu-like symptoms for three days and then the common cold for three days more.

No comments:

Post a Comment